Forests : Films
There are 5 documents in this section.
3 January 2008
Remote tribal communities in Papua have for the first time used digital video to tell the outside world about the impact uncontrolled logging is having on their traditional way of life - in a series of short films they have produced themselves.
14 May 2003
Liivo Niglas has received the first ever IUCN Film Award for the Environment. As part of the annual film festival, Visions du RÃ©el, a 5000 Swiss Franc cash prize went to the Estonian-born film-maker for Yuri Vella's World (Juri Vella Maailm).
19 August 2002
Indonensia is home to 10 per cent of the world's tropical forests but large-scale illegal logging has resulted in swathes of 'protected' forests being cut to feed international wood markets. A high-profile documentary, The Timber Mafia, follows the timber trail in the country where 70 per cent of all logging is thought to be illegal, to its ulitmate destination in the West.
13 November 2001
Trees Are the Answer is an enlightening video documentary hosted by Greenpeace co-founder, Dr Patrick Moore, that explores the beauty, biodiversity and resiliency of forests while delivering a powerful message about how forests work and the role they play in solving many current environmental problems.
1 August 2000
For over 20 years the destruction of the world's tropical forests has been at the forefront of environmental protection campaigns. Yet the devastation continues. Fate of the Forests highlights new strategies for conservation.
- Goodbye to Planet 21
- Voices from Planet 21
- Forest village spells hope for Cambodia's lost silk culture
- Mega-dam in Amazonian rainforest halted by indigenous peoples' opposition
- Industry still falling short on use of sustainable palm oil
- Deforestation reduces rainfall in Africa
- Wangari Maathai, the woman I knew
- No substitute for undisturbed tropical forests
- Global effort to restore 150 million hectares of deforested land
- Filipino hill farmers are learning how to heal their eroded land
- Global map of religious forests to protect biodiversity hotspots
- Devastating cost of the soya boom
- Deforestation soars in Brazil
- World call to save Sweden's virgin forest from the saw
- Bushmeat hunting driving Tanzanian forests to crisis